You can come to New Zealand as a visitor. During your stay, you’ll need enough money to support yourself and everyone included in your application. While you’re here, you can enjoy New Zealand’s scenery, adventure, culture, and friendly people.

Over View


Depending on your plans, up to 9 months

All Visa Condition

With this visa you can

  • Visit friends and family, explore New Zealand or enjoy amateur sports, or adventure activity.
  • Study for up to 3 months
  • Include your partner, and dependent children aged 19 and under, in your visa application.

Duration – Visitors & Tourist

You can visit New Zealand as a genuine tourist for up to 9 months in an 18-month period.

  • The 18-month period is calculated backwards from the last day you intend to be in New Zealand.
  • If the last day you’ll be here is 1 December, then your 18-month period will begin on 1 June of the year before.

You can apply for another 3 months’ stay and extend your stay to 12 months in a 24-month period, if:

  • you need more time to complete your tourist itinerary
  • you can’t leave New Zealand for reasons beyond your control.
  • you’ve applied for residence for the first time.

To apply for another 3 months’ stay, you must have financially supported yourself and not worked, studied or been sponsored during your stay.
If you’ve recently visited New Zealand for a total of 12 months, you have to remain outside New Zealand for 12-months before you can apply for another Visitor Visa.

Visa Expiry

You must leave New Zealand before your visa expires.
Visa expiry dates are printed on a visa label, or included in a visa letter.

Funds Or Sponsorship
You must have enough money to support yourself while you’re in New Zealand or have a sponsor.
You may be asked for evidence you have enough funds to support yourself when you check in or arrive in New Zealand.

You can’t Glossary for work in New Zealand on this visa.
If you’re coming to New Zealand to take up an offer of employment, you should apply for a Work Visa.
If you’re coming to New Zealand for a special purpose, such as a work requirement, or as a partner or family member, you should first consider the Glossary for Special Category Visitor Visas.
If you want to conduct business while in New Zealand, you should apply for a Business Visitor Visa.


You may study for up to 3 months in any 12 month period.
Schoolaged children can study for up to 3 months in any calendar year. Children studying for more than 2 weeks must attend a school that is signatory to the ‘Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students’.